Our Bicycle Workshop – servicing, maintenance and repair.
To enable us to get our restoration work done before Christmas, regular service bookings will cease 5th Dec, 2023.
We know how much your bicycle means to you, and we will take care of it like our own.
Please book ahead of time as we are often booked a week in advance for full services – small jobs we may be able to slot you in earlier.
Fixing and servicing bikes is what we love to do. You could say it’s our obsession. In fact, we have a special, soft little place in our hearts for the old, the forgotten and even the lame.
Walk-in small jobs welcomed.
Whether you have a flat tyre, average brakes, a mysterious creak or want a full-scale restoration, nothing would make us happier than restoring your prized set of wheels to their full glory, and getting you back in the saddle again. We do walk-in flat tyre repair – if you’ve got a flat, we’ll always help you.
Tiers of servicing:
We traditionally have not offered tiers of servicing, as we don’t believe in half servicing a bicycle. Most bicycles require The Captain’s Table service. We will only offer the Crew’s Quarters if, after inspection, your bicycle will leave the workshop in a condition where we are proud to say “This has been serviced by Captain Walker’s Bicycles”.
The Captain’s Table
You get to eat fresh fruit and vegetables, and your salted beef is 90% guaranteed to be free of larvae. We guarantee the flour is weevil free, but this is subject to change. Your rum is largely undiluted.
Most bicycles realistically need this level of servicing.
- Bike Cleaned
- All bolts inspected for safety
- Drivetrain parts put through our industrial ultrasonic parts cleaner, rinsed, and relubricated with wax (excellent performance in Perth commuter, touring or gravel conditions)
- Bicycle blessed, exorcised and chakras aligned
- Cables inspected and adjusted
- Cable housing inspected for damage
- Stop screws setup correctly
- Cable tension adjusted
- Derailleur hanger aligned
- Trued (straightened)
- Bearing grease refreshed and adjusted (cup and cone)
- Tyres inspected for seating, wear, damage and thorns
- Tyres inflated to correct pressure
- Brake pads inspected and tuned
- Cables or hydraulic pressure inspected
- Cable tension tuned
- Pivot points lubricated
- Rusted spring surfaces sanded, polished and lubricated to improve old brake function
- V-Brake pivots cleaned, polished, regreased and reassembled
- Mineral oil hydraulic (Shimano, Tektro, etc) lever brakes burped and topped up.
- Bottom bracket assessed
- Adjustment made if required
- Tightening square taper BB.
- Re-greasing and tuning adjustable cup bottom bracket
- Adjustment made if required
- Headset grease refreshed and adjusted
- Suspension adjustment if required
Installation of new, minor part purchased through us during service, $5.
The Crew’s Quarters
Guarantee to stave off scurvy for 72 hours. One piece of fruit, mostly fresh, and all the rum you can drink (may be subject to watering down). Your own hammock to sleep in, upwindish of the infirmary.
Available only after inspection and approved.
- Wheel bearing adjustment
- Minor wheel true
- Gears tuned (if hanger straight)
- Brakes adjusted if in serviceable condition
- Safety check
- Tyres inflated
Installation of new part during service, $10.
We offer many other bicycle services here including, but not limited to…
- Wheel Building
- New Wheel Builds
- Truing and Dishing
- Spoke Replacement
- Rim Polishing
- Frame Powdercoating
- Rust Removal and Prevention
- Siezed bottom bracket removal (we’ve never met a BB that we can’t remove – test us!)
- Bottom Bracket thread tapping (BSA & Italian Thread)
- Frame threads retapped
- Crank pedal threads repaired or re-cut and replaced.
- Crown race removal
- BB Shell Facing
- Threaded fork tapping
- Headset installation
Additional Pricing Policy and Disclaimer
We will bend over backwards to get your bicycle riding to its full potential, without any nasty surprises.
We take great steps to ensure the initial quote for your service is accurate, however, when dismantling your bicycle, certain components can reveal wear and damage that are not possible to inspect during our initial quoting process such as: bearing surfaces, metal fatigue to your derailleur hanger, hydro brake pistons, etc.
We will only add parts to your invoice if they are absolutely necessary for safety or servicing. If the total additional cost is under $30, we will not bother you, but anything exceeding to this, we will call you. Please add our numbers above to your phone so you recognise the number. Please let us know now if you’re working to a tight budget and cannot accept any further charges, we will honour this and work around it.
We cannot accept responsibility for parts that are damaged due to them being at the end of their serviceable life, such as rusted screws and bolts, or derailleur hangers that break when being straightened due to metal fatigue. As an act of good faith, we will not charge labour costs for replacement.
Replacement of heavily worn chains, without replacing the cassette or chainrings, can result in the chain slipping forward under load. We will let you know if there a risk of this occurring and can make an informed choice. You can read more about this here.
Thanks for your understanding.
Sam & The Team @ Captain Walker’s Bicycles.